In one short year I turn 30. That’s right, yesterday was my birthday! We went whitewater rafting…by we I mean Derek and some of his family. It was such an exhilarating adventure and really made me feel alive…which is a great thing to feel on your birthday.
While some friends are horrified at the thought of 30, right now I’m feeling fairly stoic about the milestone. I feel confident in what I’ve achieved and excited to see what I can create in the next thirty years.
That being said, I do still feel as if it is quite a monumental year. The first real milestone year since 21 (because, let’s be real renting a car at 25 is no real milestone). I feel as if 29 is the year to work on myself and establish the tone for the next chapter of my life.
Over the last few weeks I’ve been working on my “29 before 30” list and I feel confident that it is a strong list. I also know the reality is that over the next year I might find things more important to do. In which case I’ll provide an update as to why something got swapped out. Some of the items are about building habits, while others are a one-time type of thing. If all were a one-time thing, I’d have to accomplish 2.42 items a month to achieve them all.
Without further ado, here is my 29 activities I want to do before 30. They’re in no particular order.
- Establish an exercise routine
- Read 15 books
- Cultivate a wardrobe that both speaks to who I am, but also how I want to be perceived
- Learn how to code, or something along those lines
- Establish better spending habits
- Achieve more focus in my daily life and work to better avoid distractions
- Update and decorate our house so it feels more like my style and less like the previous owner’s
- De-clutter and refrain from bringing more stuff in
- Further develop my personal branding
- Contribute to my retirement fund
- Start our decorative guest art wall
- Buy a new computer
- Learn how to cook seven new meals without recipes
- Go whitewater rafting again
- Find a long-term volunteer opportunity
- Run a marathon…half marathon…okay maybe just a relay
- Create photobooks, including Keely’s baby book
- Do more yoga
- Go on a trip with friends
- Learn to make a decent pot of coffee at home
- Consistently wake up earlier
- Go a week without TV (or Netflix or anything like that)
- Cut out regularly drinking soda pop (see what I did there?)
- Visit a new American city
- Have a professional family photo done
- Host a large friends get-together (Friendsgiving)
- Clean up the photos on my phone and only keep the best ones
- Find a signature lipstick color
- Regularly blog (at least twice a month)
So, what do you think? Will I be able to do all of this? PS
How did I get so lucky to be the mom of this precious little girl?