Bridgette and I are super excited to announce that we were nominated for the Liebster award by one of my favorite step mom blogs – One Step/(Mom)ent at a Time.
The Liebster award is passed from blogger to blogger to get recognition for new or smaller blogs. (Blogs with <200 followers) When you’re nominated for the award, you have some rules to follow:
- Acknowledge the blog that nominated you and display the award
- Give 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer 11 questions the blog give you
- Nominate 5-11 blogs with less than 200 followers you think are deserving of the award
- Let the bloggers know you nominated them
- Give them 11 questions to answer
So, since Bridgette and I both love giving fun facts about ourselves, we’ll use different colors to differentiate our answers. Ryann will write in green and Bridgette will write in purple.
11 Fun Facts About the BBB Authors:
- I love to sing. My parents often say I sang before I talked. I perform in community theatre productions and am a music teacher. Singing is pretty much my life.
- My favorite non career job was when I worked at a local amusement park as a costume character. We would walk around the park interacting with guests, but we also did a show with prerecorded voices. Best job a teenager could ever have. Daffy Duck was my “best friend.”
- I don’t really like chocolate. Unless, of course, it’s the chocolate that I like, then I only like it when I like it. Doesn’t make sense? It does to me. 🙂
- I was never really an animal person until I met Husband. Now, I have my baby girl Agnes (our 65 lb boxer/pit mix), and I can’t imagine life without that annoying, adorable snuggly boxy faced ball of lovable energy.
- My favorite song is “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” My favorite movie is “The Wizard of Oz.” This really isn’t a secret, but if you’re ever looking for a gift for me – Wizard of Oz stuff is always a safe bet.
- I have a birth defect. You may have noticed in some of the pictures I’ve posted of myself that my smile is triangular in shape, and the left side doesn’t move. It’s called hemifacial palsy, and it happened because of some bleeding in the womb. It doesn’t really affect my life at all, but it did take me some time to become comfortable with my own skin – most of the time I forget I even have it, probably because I don’t stare at my own face on a regular basis.
- I never wanted to find out the gender of any children I might have had before they were born. Adoption made that much more difficult, however, we didn’t know Vincent’s gender until the day he was born – one more reason this was simply meant to be.
- I’m a 100% extrovert. I get rejuvenated and refreshed by being around people, and I need very little “me time.” I’d much rather spend time with people – even if it’s going to a Panera and reading. I’d rather do that then read at home by myself.
- I enjoy a good heckler at sporting events. If it’s clever and makes me laugh, it’s good in my book. My heckles often include phrases such as “You wish you could play ‘name of sport’!” and “You can’t catch/throw/score, etc.” I love love love Cleveland sports…even when they stink…which is often.
- My kitchen is my favorite room in my house, but that’s because that’s where we spend the most family time…including random dance parties which occur more often than you’d think in the average household…
- I never liked journaling. I have some journals from elementary school filled with pages of “I HATE JOURNAL WRITING!!!” But I LOVE blogging. I get so excited for each like, comment, and view. And I love reading other people’s stories and connecting. Technology is pretty awesome that way. I credit Bridgette for getting me into blogging, and I hope to continue it for a long time.
- Fun Facts About Ryann is one of my favorite games. She gets to share about herself and I love learning more about her. I think it’s this openness that helped us become friends. I don’t hate Fun Facts About Bridgette for that matter.
- I’m a creator. I’m not always a completer but I am always full of ideas. This blog was one of them. As you may have noticed, I’m not good at being consistent with posting. I move in a million and one directions at once.
- I lived in three states in third grade. This has been a fun fact of mine since…well…third grade. I ended up learning simple machines in each school and didn’t learn fractions that year.
- I’m a little jealous of people who get to say “Clevelander since birth,” but I’m also a proud Texan. Cleveland is home. Texas is my heritage.
- As of this writing I have five tattoos (in order): a phoenix in memoriam of my dad, a dEliA*s daisy because a friend said I wouldn’t do it, an ankh with wings because I believe in a form of eternity, the auryn from The Neverending Story, and Always (with the a stylized as the Deathly Hallows) because being a Potterhead is as much a part of me as is being obsessed with Dr Pepper (see I snuck in extra fact).
- Speaking of Harry Potter, it took me a bit to get into the books (second one had just come out). But once I did, it was all down hill from there. The longest it took me to read a book was five days because I was working at YMCA Camp Ernst, an overnight camp, and they didn’t want staff reading it around the campers. It was at the height of the “magic backlash” of HP. Perhaps this is why this book is one of my least favorites.
- Birthdays are my absolute favorite. Every holiday has become something different than what it was originally, but not birthdays. They’re so wholly about that person and what makes them special and unique. I’ve been planning Keely’s first birthday for months.
- I love a good pun. If it’s even somewhat well-crafted it will make me laugh. If it’s poorly crafted? I’ll probably laugh still.
- One of my biggest pet peeves on social media is when people do not put the punctuation inside quotation marks. Unless it doesn’t belong, but chances are it does belong. Yes, it is a fun fact.
- My top two favorite bands are The Matches and Avenged Sevenfold. I absolutely lovethat The Matches have been doing reunion shows. I even saw their NYC show in November 2014 while pregnant and when I’d been in the hospital earlier that week. It was one of the coolest experiences ever. I’m hoping to see them in June in Chicago.
- My house has a cedar closet and is walking distance to Starbucks. Derek wanted a cedar closet and I said the dream was to live incredibly close to the coffee dynamo. I love that we both got what we wanted.
Questions for us to answer:
- What are three words to describe you?
optimistic, musical, and (my husband said) loud, but in a good way 🙂
Cynical-optimist, artsy, and (my husband said) ambitious.
- What is your favorite quote or verse?
“When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.” -How I Met Your Mother
“When you belong to a song, salty eyes, you belong.” -“Salty Eyes,” The Matches
- What is one thing that can always turn a bad day around?
Other than Keely…a little playlist I call “Avenged Matches,” I bet you can guess the two bands on that list. Keely loves The Matches too.
- If you could say a genuine “thank you” to someone, for something they’ve done or a way they’ve effected your life, who would it be and why?
This is a toss up between my parents and Vincent’s birthparents – the ‘why’ is a million reasons, and I try to thank them constantly and always let them know how important they all are to me. I wouldn’t be half of the woman I am today without my parents’ constant support and unconditional love, and I wouldn’t be a mom without K & L. These four people, each in their own way, have shaped my life into what it is today.
Can I say thank you to a place? I have amazing people in my life, but I don’t know where I would be or who I would be without the summers spent at camp. Camp taught me to be myself, to serve others, and to experience new things. Being an Honor Camper is still one of my greatest accomplishments…even 14 years later.
- What is something you would love to try, but haven’t?
I asked my Husband to answer this question for me and he said, “Making out with Adam Levine.” I think I’ll keep that answer. 🙂
I would love to go on a backpacking/hiking/camping trip. Something that tests my endurance, but also allows me to experience nature in a way that is unlike something I’ve ever experienced before.
- What is your biggest fear?
Being alone forever, falling, and heights
Not being good enough.
- What would you like to be remembered for?
Always trying my best, being a good mom, and making people happy
Being true to myself and creating something good out of my life.
- What is your “must have” to get you through the day?
- What TV show do you wish was still airing new episodes?
24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They’re bringing it back without Kiefer Sutherland which makes me hesitant… But, I love 24. SO MUCH! In a kind of unhealthy way…
There are so many. If I like a TV show in its first season, as opposed to getting into it later on, it is sure to be cancelled. Most recently I loved Forever. I think I liked the balance of crime procedurals and magic.
- Summer, Fall, Winter, or Spring – and why?
All! Summer because I’m off of work, fall because the world is so beautiful then, winter because I love snow and snow days, and spring because everything is being born again.
Fall. Summer used to be my favorite when I had the summer off. But since I’m not a teacher I’m inside most of it anyway. I love the changing colors and crispness of fall. Plus Halloween is my favorite holiday.
- What is something you wish more people knew about you?
I’m kind of an open book, but I guess I’d probably say that while I tend to be happy most of the time, I’m not always happy, and sometimes it’s me who needs the comforting…I just usually won’t ask for it. I’d rather be comforting someone else.
I’m incredibly sensitive. It’s something I’m working on. I have a really hard time if I feel like I’m left out or that someone is not putting in the same level of commitment that I’m putting into something.
Wait. I want to answer those questions too! Another blog, perhaps?
We’d like to nominate the following blogs:
Here are the 11 questions for you to answer:
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- Describe the best vacation you’ve ever been on.
- Are you a dog or a cat person?
- If you had to change your career, what would you pick?
- Which famous person (living or dead) would you like to have lunch with and why?
- What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- If you could have one super power, what would it be?
- You had the worst day at work – what’s the one thing that will make you feel better?
- If you had to lose one of your senses, which one would you pick and why?
- What’s the first thing you would do if you won a million dollars?
Thanks again One Step/(mom)ent at a time – let’s keep sharing the blogging love!!!