Every year for Thanksgiving, my family sits down to dinner, but before we eat, we go around the table and say what we are thankful for that year. Sometimes people go all out, writing out exactly what they want to say, but mostly people just speak from the heart. Inevitably, there’s always lots of tears, hugs, and love that’s shared around the table.
This year, I’d like to write out what I’m thankful for because it’s a big one:
Last year in November, I didn’t have much to be thankful for. I had an infertility diagnosis, adoption discussions with Husband that weren’t always pretty, two part time jobs that were more life draining than life giving, and I was feeling pretty low. But, we had publicly announced our plans to adopt, so there was one bright spot in what was not the best year. This year didn’t start off much better. We had several potential matches that didn’t go anywhere, continued issues with fertility, and the jobs were still draining my life. I tried to remain positive. I tried to see God’s higher plan, but it was hard. It was seeming that this year would be a repeat of last year with more disappointments and heartaches.
But, it most certainly wasn’t. And, I’m so very thankful.
- I’m thankful for my parents who have supported me throughout this entire journey. They’ve been a constant in what has been a roller coaster ride, and their love for me has sometimes been the only thing pushing me to keep going.
- I’m thankful for my husband. For agreeing to adopt. For doing his best to understand the female reproductive system. For sticking with me through mood swings, depression, anxiety, all the highs and lows the adoption process brings.
- I’m thankful for Z who treats me like I am his mother and loves me just the same. He’s an amazing big brother to Vincent, and I’m so lucky to have him in my life. He’s the easiest part about being a stepmom.
- I’m thankful for my friends. They didn’t always understand, but they were always there to laugh, cry, drink wine…whatever I needed. They are my rocks, my family that I have chosen.
- Specifically, I’m thankful for Bridgette. We came to be moms in two very different ways, but I can’t imagine a better #mombff. She challenges me to think outside of the box, but she accepts me as I am. She inspires me to be a better person and mom, and she never judges…well, almost never judges. 😉
- I’m thankful for K & L, Vincent’s birthparents. Without them, I wouldn’t be a mom. I’m so thankful they trusted Husband and I enough to allow us the privilege of being Vincent’s mom and dad. I’m thankful for our open, caring relationship, and I truly love both of them. They are amazing people.
- I’m thankful for Vincent. He’s my reason for waking up every morning. Every minute spent with him is precious time. His smile lights up the room, and his laugh is infectious. He has brought so much joy to so many people by simply existing. He is a miracle – a God given gift.
There’s so much to be thankful for this year! I’m truly blessed.